Saturday, August 18, 2007

Interview Questions

Instructions - if you would like to be interviewed -
1. Leave me a comment saying "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

~My Questions~

1. Why did you start your blog and what do you hope to accomplish with it?
I actually started it because friends of mine from an online support group had started blogs. Really, I wasn't planning to start one but was just poking around to see what the process was like and, as I did, I ended up feeling very strongly compelled to put it together and begin one. My expectation of the blog is to give me another forum to process thoughts and feelings; one more tool in an attempt to heal. I am bad about journaling for myself and I felt like having a public blog filled me with a certain sense of obligation to check in regularly which will be beneficial for me.

2. You say you have a desire to be "perfect" - do you place the same expectations on your daughter? No. But yes. I mean, I don't consciously expect her to be perfect. But I notice much TOO often that I get frustrated with her for not acting like an adult or doing things the way I want her to. She is 3 for crying out loud. And she's a great kid. But I get irritated with her for making a mess or for not being potty trained yet, etc. So I have to check myself often that I don't pass on this same perfection-complex to her. In fact, we listen to this Laurie Berkner song called "I'm Not Perfect" and when she sings it she says "I'm perfect!" and I always say "You're wonderful sweetie but you are not perfect and Mommy doesn't expect you to be perfect....just do your best!" Now why can't I get that into my own head?

3. You say you're not perfect. But list 5 positive qualities about yourself.
Blaaaaaahhhhhhhh. I hate this question!!!! And you knew I would.
Alright, alright......1. I'm intelligent. 2. I'm a good singer. 3. I have great hair! 4. I'm a good cook. 5. I am thoughtful.
Can I just tell you that it took me about 15 minutes to write that answer and I'm full of anxiety doing it???? Weird.

4. Fun question - imagine you are in your car, alone, driving somewhere - are you talking to yourself? Singing? Quiet?
Umm, depends what is going on in my life. If it were right now, I'd probably be talking to myself &/or thinking silently about why saying 5 nice things about myself caused me to verge on a panic attack! Sometimes I'm singing particularly if I'm preparing for a performance, sometimes I'm having imaginary conversations or confrontations with people. I'm usually wearing my phone headset so it looks like I'm talking to someone and I don't appear to be completely looney!

5. I know you like music. What is your favorite song and why?
Oh I have so many favorite songs. One of them, and the one I'm playing over and over lately is "For Good" from the soundtrack of the musical Wicked. Why? I think it's really profound in a most simplistic way, if that makes sense. Basically the hook is "Who's to say if I've been changed for the better but, because I knew you, I have been changed for good." Just speaks to how everyone we meet in our lives has an effect on us and, whether good or not, it's lasting.

1 comment:

Enola said...

Yes I knew you'd hate the 5 positive comments question - but they are all true. You are a beautiful, intelligent person, a wonderful mom, and a great friend. Oh, I'm totally stealing the phone headset idea - I'm forever talking to myself and maybe it will make me look less crazy!