Monday, June 30, 2008

Thumbelina Went to Therapy!

My DD is almost 4. She enjoys fairy tales, as most little girls do. Last night we were reading an abridged version of Thumbelina. You've probably read it or seen one of the movies.....

Everyone falls madly in love with Thumbelina at first sight. First of all....in the movie we have, she looks like she's about 15 years old. In the story we were reading last night, she looks like she's no more than 6!! The toad falls in love with her and wants to marry her. Mr. Mole falls in love with her immediately and wants to marry her. Mr. Mole is blind, mind you, and falls in love with her just hearing her voice! Then the flower prince falls in love with her and asks her to marry him. Of course at this point, there is a "yes" and the happily-ever-after ending.

Last night, thanks to a Mom who's fed up with fairy tale endings, Thumbelina ended like this:
.....and the flower prince met Thumbelina, fell madly in love with her and immediately asked her to marry him. And Thumbelina said "Are you out of your mind? You just met me 5 seconds ago! You don't even know me; you can't be in love with me. Get a grip, man!" So Thumbelina went to college and established a career. Then she started her own company. She bought her own place and made all her own dreams come true!!

4 comments:

Enola said...

I love it !!!!!

My daughter wants to have her own baby and I tell her it's impossible till she's married. And that's impossible until after college.

April_optimist said...

ROFL!!! I love it!!!

Strong and determined said...

I absolutely LOVED your post. I get frustrated with some of the Disney movies my daughter likes to watch for the same reason. The couple meets, spends 15 minutes together and lives happily ever after. I know I am a little cynical, but come on!
Thanks for making me smile today. :)

Angel said...

Great ending, lol. Way more believable and beneficial to a child's mindset than the "other" ending.