Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dreams

If you're a regular visitor to my blog, you know that I'm pretty fascinated with dream interpretation. Unfortunately, I almost never recall my dreams. It's a shame to me since I truly believe that our dreams say so much about what's going on in our life and in our minds especially when it's a subject the conscious mind tries to ignore.
~
There is a radio show I listen to every morning and they have a dream expert in every couple months. Her name is Lauri Loewenberg from The Dream Zone. I recently bought her book and am looking forward to getting more out of my dreams. So far, I've only been dabbling in the dream dictionary section trying to interpret a couple dreams from the past two nights.
~
Cats & Snow. Are these two things connected? I had a dream the other night and a large portion of it was self explanatory based on a conversation I'd had with Jennie (my BFF) shortly before going to bed. The two things that stuck out to me as being out of place, or noteworthy, were two cats that were constantly at my heels and the fact that it was snowing. So I look up cats and snow. Both refer to being emotionally cold, or aloof, toward something. I've not figured out what that thing is yet, lol, but still I am amazed by the symbolism in dreams.
~
My dream last night: My neighbor (who is married with 2 young children & a 3rd on the way) comes over to my house and she's stressing out. I learn in the dream that she and her DH are actually not married but they are getting married. In the dream, they still have 2 kids and 3rd on the way. Except in real life, they have a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. In the dream, it appears they have about a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. (WHOA. I didn't recognize the importance of that until I typed it out.....that's the age difference & order of me & my brother) So, neighbor is stressing that she hasn't received her wedding invitations that she ordered and she needs to send them out very soon. She shows me a sample of the wedding invitation and it's a picture of her DH and the 2 kids with an iridescent invitation sort of super-imposed on top of it. She drops the invitation. I pick it up and hand it back to her. She drops it again and it goes under a cabinet. My mother, and a friend of my mother's, are both in the dream. We're all looking for the invitation and it cannot be found. I notice, in looking underneath the cabinet, the floor is filthy. Covered in particles, dust bunnies, etc.
~
I pick apart my dream.......Just yesterday, I was posting about how Bianca and I are the only family we need and we're in this place right now for a reason. I have a sense of peace about her not needing a father right now; just needing me to be 100% present. Since I wrote out the dream, I'm certain the photo represents the family I had growing up. And in fact, photos in dreams are an indication of a "snapshot" of a certain time in your life. Dream interpretation of losing something, again pretty literal, depicts something lost in your life. And dirt or dirty spaces are an indication of something you find shameful.
~
So, in a nutshell, this dream stamped my childhood as something I lost and that I'm unhappy about. I think her stress in the dream equals my stress over family situations. And I think the fact that she dropped the photo and I handed it back to her is representative of my repeated efforts to let go of my past. I think it's noteworthy that my mother is also looking for the photo since she has a lifelong struggle of family issues. Dream interpretation of weddings is a new beginning or a life transition. So, I think the invitation super-imposed over the photo of what I'm grieving equals an invitation for me to let go and move forward into this new phase. Pretty freakin' cool. Invitation accepted!

No comments: